Welcome
Welcome

About Me

Blog Archive

Thursday, June 25, 2009

A [Father's Day] to remember...

This Father’s Day weekend was for a certain reason something I thought would never happen to be honest with you. Of course there is always Father’s Day but none as memorable as the one I just experienced. For those of you who don’t know my parents divorced when I was a baby and I have not had contact with my Father ever since. I had known along he was out there and that someday we would be reunited weather it was in this life or the next. I feel so blessed to have the opportunity in this life! In September of 2007 my father contacted my grandpa Pistorius and said that he wanted to begin having contact with me. At first I was shocked and unsure of what to do. After much thought, I decided that I would at least call and begin a phone to phone relationship which is a huge thing it itself. That phone to phone relationship lasted until Father’s Day 2009. I am so glad I took baby steps in getting to know my Dad rather than just jump in without giving us time to get to know each other. But that phone to phone relationship ended when I came face to face with the man I now call Dad. I was very nervous about taking the big step of letting him in my life, as anyone in my shoes might be. I did it and I am so so glad and happy I did. I feel such closure and peace now that that chapter of the unknown is closed. I’m excited for this new journey I am embarking on. The weekend was full of firsts some of which include: Watching a movie with him, not having to call him to talk to him, eating at the same dinner table as him, sitting by the fire and chatting with him. Not only did I get to meet him but his wife Christine “Chrissie”, my sis Carly “Car”, and little bro Neil. My other brother Mitch is on a mission in Guatemala and will be home in 8 weeks on Tuesday. I’m so glad Adam was able to be my side during one of the most important days of my life. We are getting along very nicely and expect to continue down that path!!






2 comments:

Amber {Utah Photography} said...

Wow, this post really touched me! What a special fathers day for you and your dad. I loved the pictures as well. I hope things continue to go so well for you all.

Karen said...

I've known your dad since before you were born. I also know that he has missed you incredibly all these years. I'm so glad you two got to get together. It's closure for him too as well as the beginning of a new chapter. Congratulations.