Welcome
Welcome

About Me

Blog Archive

Monday, December 28, 2009

[Avatar] Review by Mr. C

First things first, my overall opinion: I loved it. Surprised me how much I liked it. More than I bargained for.

Clearly, the visuals were the best thing. The 3D was perfect - it absolutely added to the film, but it was subtle (rather than jump out of the screen cheap tricks). The integration of animation and live action was phenomenal, and the animation itself was just amazing.

SO ... politics. Overall I didn't mind - much less of an issue than I thought it would be. The fact of the matter is, if the situation represented were real, I would take the same stance 100%. There were two lines that took it a little over the top, though. Referring to an attack on the Na'Vi's sacred place as a "shock and awe" campaign (thus, by allusion, calling the Iraq Shock and Awe not just innapropriate but an attack on sacred areas of defenseless people ... whereas in point of fact it was an extremely targeted attack on a dangerous organization, WMD or no). There was another line that had a similar effect, but I don't remember what it was.

Now for the story. It's been said the plot is really weak and you see it JUST for the visuals. I couldn't disagree more. Now, there are issues - plot holes and the like. Take, for example, the fact that at one point you see multiple Avatars in action (playing basketball, etc., not to mention quite a few link machines) - but in the rest of the movie you only ever see the 3 ... one would think the others would be on one side or the other rather than totally absent the rest of the film. The bad guy is also rather over the top. And yeah, it's pretty much totally predictable in all major points. But in truth the plot is not weak, it's really quite fleshed out and tight. It doesn't drag on at all despite the movie's length. The arc is very well executed, too - although you do know what's going to happen, you very much follow along with the main character's transformation.

I give this movie an A-. Better than I was hoping. See it, see it now. And see it in 3D. If you're in Utah, I reccomend the Jordan Landing Cinemark XD screen (that more expensive one) ... huge screen and nice comfy leather seats. Regardless, see it in RealD - don't see it in an Imax as those use colored glasses rather than polarization (significantly fewer people have issues with headaches with polarization, and the 3D effect is better received overall).

One minor warning: there is some alien nudity (female) in this film. If you're OK with Barbie or the like this shouldn't be a problem ... the aliens - Na'Vi - are humanoid, but they are colorful and otherwise different, and none of the shots are overly blatant. It is a part of the culture of the Aliens ... think of it as a National Geographic documentary in that regard.

Oh, and I did forget to mention a couple negatives. I need only say "unobtanium" and "naturally occuring carbon fiber". Suspension of disbelief is sufficient to overcome both though, I think.

0 comments: